this exquisite record comprises the pianist/composer’s recordings of four preludes and one fugue from JS Bach’s ‘Well-Tempered Clavier’, each followed by an ‘After Bach’ piece written by Mehldau and inspired by its WTC mate.
The album begins with Mehldau’s own ‘Before Bach: Benediction’ and ends with his ‘Prayer For Healing’. the album’s conept originated in a work Mehldau first performed in 2015 , commissioned by Carnegie Hall, The Royal Conservatory of Music, The National Concert Hall, and Wigmore Hall – called ‘Three Pieces After Bach’. further listening: dieter ilg’s ‘b-a-c-h’, craig leon’s ‘bach to moog’ and the modern jazz quartet’s ‘blues on bach’. “An unaccompanied performance split between respectfully straight recitals of several JS Bach classics, and densely dazzling compositions and improvisations inspired by them” — Guardian.
- Before Bach: Benediction
- Prelude No. 3 in C# Major from The Well-Tempered Clavier Book I, BWV 848
- After Bach: Rondo
- Prelude No. 1 in C Major from The Well-Tempered Clavier Book II, BWV 870
- After Bach: Pastorale
- Prelude No. 10 in E Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier Book I, BWV 855
- After Bach: Flux
- Prelude and Fugue No. 12 in F Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier Book I, BWV 857
- After Bach: Dream
- Fugue No. 16 in G Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier Book II, BWV 885
- After Bach: Ostinato
- Prayer for Healing