Funk in France: From Paris to Antibes (1969-1970)
this is the first official collection of previously unissued live recordings of the legendary guitarist in over a decade.
the selection gathers material captured at the ORTF studio in Paris on October 26, 1969 , including jazz guitar legend Barney Kessel comping behind Green on the beautiful “I Wish You Love”; plus full concert recordings from June 18 & 20, 1970 at the Antibes Jazz Festival featuring saxophonist Claude Bartee & organist Clarence Palmer, who both played on Green’s classic 1969 Blue Note album ‘Carryin’ On’, & drummer Billy Wilson. Both performances showcase Green’s early transition to a heavier, funkier sound as he entered the 1970s. This is the first time any of these songs from the ‘Carryin’ On’ & ‘Iron City’ albums have been made available as live performances, & represent his earliest live recording as a leader.
- I Don’t Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing (Open Up The Door I’ll Get It Myself)
- How Insensitive (Insensatez)
- Untitled Blues
- Sonnymoon For Two
- I Wish You Love
- Upshot (Live At The Antibes Jazz Festival On July 18, 1970)
- Hurt So Bad (Live At The Antibes Jazz Festival On July 18, 1970)
- Upshot (Live At The Antibes Jazz Festival On July 20, 1970)
- Hi-Heel Sneakers (Live At The Antibes Jazz Festival On July 20, 1970)