CELESTIAL BLUES ~ COSMIC, POLITICAL AND SPIRITUAL JAZZ 1970 TO 1974
a phenomenal collection of far out soulful jazz full of spirituality, innovation and dare - fans of kamasi Washington will want to check this out to hear the roots of his incredible ‘the epic’.
the ten tracks range from the evidently spiritual – such as Gary Bartz’s classic ‘Celestial Blues’ or Joe Henderson & Alice Coltrane’s astounding collaboration on ‘Fire’, to less obvious but just as relevant recordings by drummers Roy Brooks and Joe Chambers. listen out for Charles Earland’s contribution, which bears a remarkable resemblance to kamasi’s ‘Henrietta Our Hero’.... The booklet notes explore the links between the current jazz revival and the early 70s, and is fully illustrated with original album covers and artist photographs.
- CELESTIAL BLUES - Gary Bartz NTU Troop
- FIRE - Joe Henderson & Alice Coltrane
- WARRIORS OF PEACE - Azar Lawrence
- BROWN EYES - Charles Earland
- THE FREE SLAVE - Roy Brooks
- THE ALOMORAVID - Joe Chambers
- LET US GO (TO HIGHER HEIGHTS) - Carlos Garnett
- LET IT TAKE YOUR MIND - Bayeté Umbra Zindiko
- JOSIE BLACK - Hampton Hawes
- AFTERMATH - Oliver Nelson