Ethiopian jazz tonalities, Tuareg grooves, ekista dance rhythms, Afro-funk, Somalian soul & contemporary jazz rhythms collide in an ecstatic explosion of technicolor.
On ‘Bahir’, he melds his world of los angeles into the one he fell in love with so strongly while in Africa. One way in which he's done so is by incorporating musicians from both sides of this coin. L.A. luminaries are featured throughout, as are African contemporaries he encountered throughout his travels. Sudan Archives gives a show-stealing vocal performance on "Gold", while the Ethiopian producer Endeguena Mulu adds impenetrable & psychedelic texture to the album's title track. Angelenos like Miguel Atwood-Ferguson & Josef Leimberg give the record its backbone, while African artists like the Ethiopian singer Hamelmal Abate give ‘Bahir’ its glimmer & shine.
- bila (feat. Kibrom Birhane)
- Gold (feat. Sudan Archives)
- Electric Gurage
- Buna Be Chow (feat. Jimetta Rose)
- Ras (feat. Haile Supreme)
- Jijiga Jijiya (feat. Marie Daulne)
- Desta’s Groove
- Shuruba Song (feat. Hamelmal Abate)
- Bahir (feat. Endeguena Mulu)
- Abebaye (feat. Marie Daulne)