DOMINO RECORDING CO LTD
Nérija are the septet of contemporary jazz luminaries, Nubya Garcia (tenor saxophone), Sheila Maurice-Grey (trumpet), Cassie Kinoshi (alto saxophone), Rosie Turton (trombone), Shirley Tetteh (guitar), Lizy Exell (drums) and Rio Kai (bass).
Rooted in friendship, Nérija is a collective whose breakneck shifts in tempo and style rely on a deep understanding of mood, temperament and expression, a solid show of trust that extends beyond the usual bonds between musicians. Recorded in the boat-shaped confines of London’s legendary Soup Studios and produced by Kwes, the overarching goal with Blume was to simply capture the rawness, warmth, joy and the spirit of their relationship and performance. One of the recording aims was to channel the feel of Teo Macero and Stanley Tonkel’s records with Miles Davis during his Columbia years, thinking “forward” as they did but for this band, capturing the controlled chaos and frame it with a timeless elegance. Blume is a truly breath-taking collection of compositions that perfectly encapsulates everything Nérija; vibrant, engaging, infectious and truly current. For just over an hour, they take us on a sprawling wonderful journey, arriving at what is a majestic body of work; their personal and collective experiences and inspirations over the last half decade or so.
- Nascence - Composed by Nérija
- Riverfest - Composed by Nérija
- Last Straw - Composed by Sheila Maurice-Grey
- Partner Girlfriend Lover - Composed by Shirley Tetteh
- EU (Emotionally Unavailable) - Composed by Cassie Kinoshi
- Blume - Composed by Nubya Garcia
- Equanimous - Composed by Rio Kai
- Swift - Composed by Lizy Exell
- Unbound - Composed by Rosie Turton
- Blume ii - Composed by Nubya Garcia