JUDGMENT NIGHT (ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK)
VARIOUS ARTISTS (2020 reissue)
music on vinyl
The 1993 film Judgment Night was basically suburbia’s paranoid view of inner-city life, where the slightest misstep (such as trying to take a shortcut to a boxing match) has fateful, if not fatal, consequences.
And what better music to accompany this middle-class nightmare than a hybrid of the music suburbanites seemed most afraid of; Rap and Rock. It turned out to be quite a fruitful collaboration; while the film bombed, the soundtrack went gold. Judgment Night spawned four singles: Biohazard & Onyx’s “Judgment Night”, Helmet & House Of Pain’s “Just Another Victim”, Teenage Fanclub & De La Soul’s “Fallin” and Faith No More & Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.’s “Another Body Murdered”. It also features a highly sought after collaboration between Pearl Jam & Cypress Hill. Ice-T and Slayer manage to thrash it out on an unsurpassed level, while Sonic Youth & Cypress Hill have that slightly paranoid sound you get from loving Mary Jane a little too much.
- Sonic Youth & Cypress Hill - I Love You Mary Jane
- Biohazard & Onyx - Judgment Night
- Helmet & House Of Pain - Just Another Victim
- Living Colour & Run Dmc - Me, Myself & My Microphone
- Slayer & Ice-T - Disorder
- Dinosaur Jr. & Del The Funky Homosapien - Missing Link
- Teenage Fanclub & De La Soul - Fallin’
- Mudhoney & Sir Mix-A-Lot - Freak Momma
- Faith No More & Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. - Another Body Murdered
- Therapy? & Fatal - Come And Die
- Cypress Hill & Pearl Jam - Real Thing