HAVANA CULTURA: ¡SÚBELO, CUBA!
gilles peterson’s ongoing project to cultivate the fertile Cuban club movement continues with this sensational set of contemporary twists on afro-cuban traditions; all of them perfect for getting the dancefloor jumping.
the record showcases an extended network of like-minded, forward-thinking musicians driving Cuba’s music forward. Peterson & Will LV – one half of LV, who’ve released on Hyperdub & Keysound amongst others – linked up with DJ Jigüe, a much-respected producer & DJ, whose Guampara label has charted new directions for Cuban music. the album features his extended network of collaborators, connecting Afro-Cuban traditions with contemporary movements & ideas, providing a snapshot of a unique club culture that’s fast evolving. On the one hand, it’s indebted to Cuba’s unique characteristics, where regularly-practised traditions are coloured by intermittently-experienced cultures from outside. On the other, it’s part of a global shift toward de-centred club music, with homegrown, influence-grabbing dance cultures tilting attention from club culture’s traditional epicentres.
- Enciéndelo (Feat. DJ Jigüe & Yissy García)
- Compañeros tropicales (Feat. DJ Jigüe)
- Bomba (Feat. El Individuo)
- Diáspora (Feat. Negro WadPro)
- Ciclo de la vida (Feat. Luz de Cuba & Kamerum)
- Traketeo (Feat. Luz de Cuba)
- Carambuko (Feat. Joao PGlagarto)
- Soy libre (Feat. El Individuo)
- Number One (Feat. Niño Fony)
- Encontrándome (Feat. Sigrid)
- Blues de mi barrio (Feat. Yasek Manzano)
- Eshu (Feat. Kamerum)
- Hasta pronto (Feat. DJ Jigüe & Yissy García)