Bombay Bicycle Club’s Jack Steadman unleashes his passion-project of crate-digging sample-tastica: he’s the Deptford-dilla, mayfair-madlib, crouch end-kanye, waitrose-wu tang, etc, etc.
this is a bona-fide back-to-his-roots set, demonstrating a remarkable ear for soul, funk, hip-hop and jazz - from Bill Withers to John Coltrane, via Floating Points. most impressively, ‘God First’ features an eclectic, carefully-curated cast of guests, whose contributions bring this project brilliantly to life. “If you put your band on hiatus, go bald and release a solo album, the you are officially being ambitious…incredible vocal performances from perennial hook-supplier BJ The Chicago Kid and soul powerhouse Charles Bradley set the celebratory tone in the first half of the album, before the second half kicks off with an incredible double-feature from De La soul and Horace Andy… full of sunny summer bangers” – London in stereo
- Angels/Your Love feat. BJ The Chicago Kid
- Somebody New feat. Elli Ingram
- Grant Green feat. Charles Bradley
- Leap of Faith feat. Horace Andy
- From Golden Stars Comes Silver Dew feat. Lalah Hathaway
- When Your Light Goes Out feat. Lianne La Havas