Various Artists (Shabaka Hutchings, Nubya Garcia, Mala, Kwake Bass)
the vinyl factory
exploring themes around identity, representation and social inequality, this compilation collects seven collaborations inspired by the life and work of Jean-Michel Basquiat, pairing ascendant musicians to create a genre-defying compilation of richly fertile creativity.
spanning genres and eras, touching on jazz, experimental electronic, post-punk, dub and ambient influences, this paints a diverse picture of the UK’s expanding underground sound. the album features Shabaka Hutchings, Kojey Radical, Wu-Lu, Nubya Garcia, Lex Amor, Ego Ella May, LayFullstop, Moroka, AJ Kwame, Lord Tusk, Roxanne Tataei, Kz, Mala, Joe Armon-Jones, Confucius MC, Kwake Bass, Maxwell Owin & Coby Sey.
- Wu-Lu, Lex Amor, Ego Ella May – ‘Legend’
- LayFullstop, Moroka, AJ Kwame – ‘Broadcast By Chocolate’
- Lord Tusk ft. Roxanne Tataei – ‘Know Ways’
- Kojey Radical, Shabaka Hutchings – ‘No Gangster’ (Produced by Kz)
- Mala, Joe Armon-Jones, Nubya Garcia – ‘Scratch & Erase’
- =CoN+KwAkE= – ‘Same Ol Samo’
- Maxwell Owin & Coby Sey – ‘Response to Michel’