keeping a record of it
DUST TO DIGITAL
featuring recordings made in 2006, 2010 & 2011, Guest performers include Cole Alexander from the Black Lips, Bradford Cox from Deerhunter & visual artist Lillian Blades.
Last year, at 62, after decades of singing while he worked, Holley released his incredible but jarring debut album, 'Just Before Music', a marriage of improvised keys & the rambling, hollow bellow of his voice, as well as the first original recording put out by the archival folk label Dust-to-Digital. “Lonnie Holley sings with an intense, emotional voice & unleashes lyrics without consistent meter or rhyme over gossamer keyboard lines that hang in the ether. His music is a blues nebula, splotched with riffy word jazz that shares in some rappers’ collagist aesthetics as well as the runaway passion of a gospel preacher enlivened by the Spirit” – Aquarium Drunkard.
- Six Space Shuttles and 144,000 Elephants
- The Start of a River’s Run (One Drop)
- Mind On
- Sun & Water (featuring Lillian Blades)
- Making a Joyful Noise
- From the Other Side of the Pulpit featuring Bradford Cox and Cole Alexander)
- Keeping a Record of It (featuring Bradford Cox and Cole Alexander)