The Rough Guide to Psychedelic India
world music network
this ace compilation delves into the influence of Western bands on indian psychedelia, resulting in a rhythmic, enjoyable album that flows surprisingly well for a compilation.
On this mind-expanding Rough Guide, hallucinatory sounds drift in & out of drones & ragas, ranging from the lysergic sitar of Ananda Shankar & trippy Bollywood vibes of the 1970s to more recent concoctions by Sunday Driver & The Bombay Royale. there are also clear western influences on the prominence of bass & spidery guitar lines.
- Kalyanji Anandji - Dance Music (Instrumental)
- Ananda Shankar - Dancing Drums
- Sunday Driver - Satyam Shivam Sundaram
- The Bombay Royale - Bombay Twist
- Simon Thacker's Svara-Kanti - Rakshasa
- Tiger Blossom - Brishtir Pani
- Asha Bhosle - Dum Maro Dum
- Paban Das Baul - Kaliya
- Jazz Thali - Chamber Of Dreams
- Jyotsna Srikanth - Thillana
- Ray Spiegel Ensemble - Moksha
- Debashish Bhattacharya - A Mystical Morning