African Airways One & Two (Funk Connection 1973-1980, Funk Departures 1973-1982)
these compilations are a deep exploration into the furthest parts of 1970’s and early 1980’s scenes across Africa.
The last decade has seen the un-tapping of an apparent endless well of music from the mother continent and this compilation uncovers some of the cream of the crop and stands as one of the finest exponents of the African take on the music that it directly influenced, that being the funk and disco from the USA. Featuring music from Cameroon, Nigeria, South Africa and the international African diaspora with artists including Manu Dibango, Jo Tongo and Jake Sollo this a truly pan-African affair, full of analogue synths, polyrhythms, rich vocals, jangling guitars and production slicker than oil.
- Africa Africa - Ekambi Brillant
- Black Gold - Tala A.M.
- Kag Am - Kemayo
- Jangolo - Jo Tongo
- Mimbo - Manu Dibango
- Give It Up - Jo Bisso
- Mbongui - M'Bamina
- Father Time, Mother Nature - Jake Sollo
- Choco Date - Sookie
- Nande - African Soul Band
- Na Real Sekele Fo Ya - Pasteur Lappe
- Kilowi Kilowi - M'Bamina
- Aboki (Mon Copain) - Ekambi Brilliant
- Don't Do It - Bongi Makeba
- Piani - Jo TONGO
- Relax (Before Doin' Sex) - Oscar Harris & The Twinkle Stars
- Get It On The Music - Bozambo
- Tata Ngoh - Misse Ngoh
- Toyota Fantasy (John Bryan Edit) - Miriam Makeba