Giallo Themes (2022 repress)
music on vinyl
Giallo is part of the Ennio Morricone Themes series, a unique collection of the greatest scores ‘The Maestro’ has composed for movies over the past 70 years, divided into different themes.
Starting 70 years ago as an arranger for the piece Mamma Bianca, Ennio Morricone is the emperor of scores and soundtracks. Morricone has always been a huge influence for the likes of Hans Zimmer, Danger Mouse, Muse, Metallica and many more musicians. He was one of the most successful composers of all-time, selling over 70 million records and winning dozens of awards. When we think of 1960’s Italian pulp cinema, the Spaghetti Western is the genre that comes to mind. However, Italy was responsible for another classic cinematic exploitation movement around the same time, one that is equally as compelling, but less widely recognized. Giallo, meaning ‘yellow’, is the Italian term for crime fiction, it was named after the bright yellow colours of early pulp fiction paperbacks. Film audiences adopted it as the name for a peculiarly Italian sub-genre of thriller cinema that had its heyday in the 1970’s - just as the Spaghetti Western movement was waning. The Giallo can be difficult to define, but essentially it is an Italian crime film that draws from a pool of common themes: stylized murders, amateur sleuths, sleazy glamour, psychological crimes, enigmatic titles and all these themes are underpinned by creepily atmospheric Ennio Morricone music scores.
- Infinite Stress / Stress Infinito - From Spasmo
- First Nebulosa / Nebulosa Prima - From The Secret / Il Segreto
- 1970 - From The Cat O’ Nine Tails / Il Gatto A Nove Code
- Raccapriccio - From What Have You Done To Solange? / Cosa Avete Fatto A Solange?
- Seguita - From Cold Eyes Of Fear / Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura
- Lemon Ostination / Ostinazione Al Limone – From What Have You Done To Solange? / Cosa Avete Fatto A Solange?
- Glass Dolls / Bambole Di Vetro - From Short Night Of Glass Dolls / La Corta Notte Delle Bambole Di Vetro
- Sospensione Folle - From Without A Motive / Senza Movente
- The Snake / Il Serpente - From Night Flight From Moscow (The Serpent) / Il Serpente
- Infinite Stress / Stress Infinito (#4) - From Spasmo
- Solange’s End / Fine Di Solange - From What Have You Done To Solange? / Cosa Avete Fatto A Solange?
- Evanescences / Evanescente - From Cold Eyes Of Fear / Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura
- M33 / Emmetrentatre - From Short Night Of Glass Dolls / La Corta Notte Delle Bambole Di Vetro
- Night Walk / Passeggiata Notturna - From The Cat O’ Nine Tails / Il Gatto A Nove Code
- In The Middle Of The Chest / In Pieno Petto - From Without A Motive / Senza Movente
- In The Void / Nel Vuoto - From Forbidden Photos Of A Lady Above Suspicion / Le Foto Proibite Di Una Signora Perbene